Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Work Blog



A lot of people in the world would call me a slacker for having a lot of free time at work. I like to see it as more of a reflection of their jealousy for my job and disdain for their own. Fuck, if I was working in a movie theatre, scraping gum and popcorn off the shitty rubber floors while simultaneously juggling an associate's degree, child support, and a 35 year mortgage, I would probably hate my life too. Gloating aside, the everyday struggle of searching for work to do at my job has a tendency to get mildly tedious. I mean think of the situation I'm in on a daily basis; I'm constantly flanked by people who are higher up on the proverbial food chain than myself, and they are in complete belief that If everyone in the office isn't constantly engaged in some sort of menial busy work, the entire universe is going to fucking IMPLODE. This may seem like an overstatement to some of my civilian readers. But all you assholes in the military know exactly what I'm talking about; The constant fear that your Sergeant is going to come around the corner, only to completely dismantle you in front of your juniors for: "NOT HOLE PUNCHING THE FUCKING MENTORING JACKETS!!!!!!"

Honestly the only reason I'm getting away with writing right now, is because I have a chronic streak of unreasonable paranoia and a quick "alt-tabbing" thumb and ring finger (Thank science for proper typing technique!). I'm sure the civilian sector has its own share of problems when challenged with scraping through a 10 hour work day with nothing to do other than scan through The Chive, and mindlessly alphabetize filing cabinets. But at least they have the ability to unionize to avoid being thrashed by their manager. Besides, think of how ridiculous it would be for a manager in casual office attire to scream maniacally at his peons for not meeting their deadlines; that's a fucking lawsuit waiting to happen. On the other hand, I feel like the fact that I always hold the option to throw my minions to the wolves, and run to the shady recesses of the outdoor smoke-pit (which has almost become a safe zone for screaming across the "P.O.G" Marine Corps) whenever I see fit, Is a pretty good common ground.


To be completely honest, I find it a bit frustrating to be micro-managed by my bosses, only to walk to the other side of the office to turn in paperwork, and find them getting playing "Words with friends", and watching the football game. AWESOME. I didn't want to watch the Giants game at all; I was completely content doing everyone else's bullshit fucking paperwork. I hate to bitch and complain but I'm sure a lot of you have some of the same complaints about your upper management that I share. If you feel like you can combat my situation leave comments down below, let's see if we can't get a bit of a conversation going about this.

     If you haven't heard the news yet, I have been extended for an additional year out here in good old Japan. I mean as much as I would like to come back to the states, I have been here for so long at this point I'm basically indifferent. Besides, you can't really beat the pay out here. This was a pretty random topic considering the direction I'm actually looking for this blog to go, but I figure adding any new content to the site at this point is good fuel for the fire. On a side note, I'm happy to have gotten as many views as I have even if it seems menial, but subscribe!!!! More subscriptions = more publicity and views, and this could possibly lead to me becoming an internet personality in my spare time, which could possibly= $$. Needless to say, the practice I'm getting is definitely critical to my future as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment